Bus transport on Ameland
The bus service on Ameland offers connecting transportation from the ferry to the four villages and all campgrounds (and vice versa). It also allows you to travel fast between villages.
In the bus on Ameland you can travel with your OV-chipcard, or you may purchase a ticket in de bus, but you may only pay with pin. It is possible to top up your OV-chipcard balance on the Ameland Arriva buses and at Primera. The relevant journey price will be deducted from your OV-chipcard balance. Two tariffs exist:
- 2023: Journey within 1 zone: € 1,82 per journey
- 2023: Journey within 2 zones: € 2,81 per journey
Additionally there is the possibility to purchase an online ticket in advance (printed or on your telephone) via arriva.nl/eticket of through the Arriva app. Also, Dutch public transport season tickets are valid on the Arriva buses on Ameland.
There are 3 bus lines on Ameland:
- Line 1 is the line between Hollum and Ballum and Nes and the ferry to Holwerd.
- Line 2 is the line between Buren and Nes and the ferry to Holwerd.
- Line 3 is the line between Hollum, Ballum, Nes, the ferry to Holwerd, Nes (beach) and Buren
View the schedule
- Bus timetable Ameland 2023, winter, 9 January - 30 March and 1 November - 7 January 2024
- Bus timetable Ameland 2023, summer, 31 March - 31 October
Are you planning to come with a larger group? You can book a bus in advance at transport company Arriva by calling 003188-2776276 or via e-mail: email@example.com.
For groups of approximately 30 guests and up who will be staying on the island, Arriva offers a special rate. Arriva prefers to be notified in advance, to prevent disappointment. The specific details of how and when to travel can then be agreed.
Guests with limited mobility
Guests with limited mobility can also use the bus on the island. Various stops on the island have visual and/or motor adjustments, to ensure people with limited mobility can easily board and exit the bus.
- Buren, bus stop Kiekduun/Klein Vaarwater on the Strandweg
- Nes, bus stop Strand (Beach) Nes/Duinoord on the Strandweg
- Nes, bus stop Veerhaven (Ferry)
- Ballum, bus stop Gemeentehuis (Town Hall) on the Jelmeraweg
- Hollum, bus stop De Stelp (nursing home) on the Hidde Dirks Katstraat
- Hollum, bus stop Jeugdherberg (youth hostel) on the Oranjeweg 59
Achterdijken 80 B
9163 JV, Nes