Roman Catholic church Nes
Sint Clemens Church
The Neogothic church dating back to 1878 was designed by the architect Pierre Cuypers. In 1877, Cuypers had a church built in the Norwegian town Halden. Nordic influences are present in the design of the church in Nes, though the design is largely based on Cuypers' church in Ruurlo dating back to 1868. The one-aisled church with cavalier has a tall roof with an overhanging roof edge. The church is largely comprised of wooden constructions made in the Cuypers studio in Amsterdam and were assembled in Nes. Around 1958, the church was extended to include two lower transepts under the architecture of Herman van Wissen. The high altar dates back to 1885 and the stained windows to 1897. The church is a national monument. It is located at the Kardinaal De Jongweg, named after Johannes de Jong, born in Nes (1885-1955).
Destroyed by fire
In the early morning of February 5th, 2013, the church was entirely destroyed by a fire. The rectory and an annex were preserved. The church was rebuilt and back in service by late 2016.
Various sources indicate that there was no pastoral care on the island between 1587 and 1627. The landlords Van Cammingha were not all that Protestant, but the Roman Catholic religion was prohibited. After 1627 comes a turning point and that is the start of a permanent establishment of the Jesuit. Ín 1630 (others mention the year 1645), this freedom of religion resulted in the building of a small church in Nes which was dedicated to St. Clemens, the patron of seafarers. In any case, the first missionary came to this post in 1646. This little church, located at the Ballumerweg, was used until the current St. Clemens church opened in 1879. In 1832, the last refurbishment took place, whilst these days, the church functions as a farmhouse. Traces of the past are still noticeable, for example near the windows.
The building history of the St. Clemenskerk starts in the seventies of the 19th century. Then vicar O.A. Scholten started collecting money for building a new church via the daily paper "De Tijd". Money was collected fairly quickly and building began in 1878. In oktober 1879 the church was formally consecrated. The costs of the build amounted to 17,000 guilders.
The St. Clemens church was built by the 19th century master builder P.H.J. Cuypers from Roermond. This architect was thé Gothic Revival man in the Netherlands, not surprising for a person trained by French Violet le-Duc. Cuypers most famous creations include the Rijksmuseum and the Central Station in Amsterdam as well as the Vilus church in Hilversum. Though the St. Clemens church shows clear signs of Gothic Revival, Cuypers used the Nordic stave churches as an example for this church.
Source: "Rij d'r eens langs! Reisgids langs Amelander Kerken en Zerken', by J.H. Strubbe.
Kardinaal de Jongweg 33
9163 HZ, Nes Ameland